Monday, March 1, 2010

Update -- Dealing with unemployment

Yeah, so I know I said I'd try to do better, but reality is, when my life is busy, blogging gets put on the back burner. What's been going on?? Well, just surviving really. Husband is still unemployed, but has a strong lead to a job in Austin, Texas. I'm not thrilled about having to move. As I've said before, I'm a Virginia girl, through and through. However, I've been told that Austin is wonderful. I'm excited, scared, nervous, and I don't even know if we're going there yet.

Normally this time of year I start seeds for my garden. I get my tomatoes and cukes going, peppers, etc. I want to do this even still...but how do I when I don't know where I'll be in four months? Nothing is normal anymore. I've still been working at the local arts academy, and I don't know what to tell my students. Will I be here next year?? They all know what's been going on, I'm pretty transparent to those who know me.

I've been purging like never before. If we have to move, which most assuredly we will, I want to move as little as possible. I've Craigslisted some large items, like our huge entertainment center in the living room. I'm giving a couch to my parents, and many of my children's toys (approx. 2/3) will be donated/given to friends. My daughter's preschool is going to get a bunch, my best friend will be given a van load when I go visit her in a few weeks, and my church will get whatever's left to be donated. My kids will keep only their favorite.

Now for the depression aspect of all this. I was diagnosed with clinical depression about a year ago. I'm not going into a whole sch peal about depression treatments, but I will tell you, this has been the most difficult last few months. It's winter, meaning less sunlight, making symptoms worse anyway. I'm scared, anxious, sad..and these are all very valid emotions during this time. But, the strange things have crept back in too. I have had to pull out all stops to keep my mind clear, including exercise, extra socializing, shopping, cleaning...it's exhausting. It's when I'm still, that's the worst. I can't sit still for now.

Anyway, that's my update. Hopefully I'll eventually be back up and blogging. As soon as hubby gets a job, I'll be shouting it from the rooftop, that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know if you move to Austin! I'm a local and won't mind showing you around! And I don't bite and am normal.... Wanted to add that so you didn't think I was too weird. :-) Just FYI also, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers of all kinds LOVE Austin weather. Just have to water them a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy aren't you sweet! I'll keep the blog updated if we hear anything. Gardening is the one positive thing I think about moving to Austin. I'm thinking it might be possible to grow veggies all year there...right??

    Now isn't Austin the "weird" capital? Haha. Isn't the slogan keep Austin weird? I guess I might fit in, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails