Saturday, June 18, 2011

Putting it all back together...

A year and a half ago, my life had been easy and simple.  I freelanced as a musician, and my husband had a job that he had had for about eight years.  We had two healthy kids, and we had a comfortable rhythm to life.  November 13th, 2009 my husband called me on his way home from work.  He had been laid off.  I was sitting on my bed in our room when I received the phone call.  My world as I knew it had been shattered.  Dramatic, eh?

I cried. I cried hard.  For the next few months, I managed his severance check with my measly earnings as a musician.  I juggled, I cried, and I started selling things I didn't need anymore.  He was depressed, and it took him a few months to pull himself back up and look for a job.  In late May, after a few devastating "No's" he managed to land a good job in Colorado.  Our financial situation though sucked.  The house we lived in wasn't worth what we paid for it, or what we owed on it thanks to the housing bubble burst.  I met with a property manager, and with her help we came up with a rent that was comparible with the market.  Sadly, it didn't cover my mortgage.  I fixed up the house the best I could and drove to Colorado.  It was an adventure,  starting over in a new place.  I didn't know anyone.  My property manager had found someone to move in, so it was looking like our brief stint with unemployment and serious money issues was coming to a close.  But sadly, it wasn't....

To be continued....

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails