Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Honey Sweetened Strawberry Jam

For my birthday a few weeks ago for my I made some awesome grain free honey biscuits.  When Danielle, the author of Against all Grain pictured with a side of jam, I knew I had the perfect compliment sitting in my fridge.

I've been making and canning my own jams for a few years, and initially I canned with traditional sugar methods.  However after committing to a primal lifestyle, I've swapped the sugar for honey.  This is still a temporary treat, and I'm currently working on a low sugar recipe.  Once that is perfected, I will be posting that as well.  You won't miss any sweetness with this recipe, and it spreads so wonderfully.





Ingredients:

4 cups of organic strawberries (or pick your favorite berry, any will do!)
2 tbsp organic lemon juice
1 package of powdered pectin (I use Pomona)
1 cup of honey (local, and/or raw)

Put the berries and lemon juice COLD in a saucepan.  While still cold (COLD!) mix the pectin, juice and berries.  Now turn on the burner on high, and stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.  Add the honey and stir again until it gets to a boil that cannot be stirred down.  Now start your timer for about 10 minutes, and stir slowly the whole time.

Ladle the jam into half pint canning jars.  This recipe may be put directly into the fridge, where it can be kept for a few weeks.  If you choose to process them (which I would recommend), sterilize your jars beforehand (10 minutes in boiling vinegar water), and ladle the jam into them.  Leave about 1/4-1/2 inch head room and process for 5 minutes.  (Note you will need to increase the boiling process time if you live in a higher elevation, please check government standards).

Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I like to use honey whenever I can instead of sugar. Right now we buy our raw honey locally from the head of the beekeeping club, but since we are keeping bees now hopefully we will have our own honey soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've been thinking about keeping bees, but I'm a little nervous. I'd love to have my own honey though. I think I"ll keep doing some reading to see if it's something we could do.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails