Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How to make home made organic hand soap...cheap

Lately I've been doing research on what's in our hand soap, and it gets frightening when you start to dig a little deeper.  It encouraged me to find an easy way to make hand soap easily at home with out needing a ton of ingredients and that would be worth the price.

Well, I found it.  I started with a small bottle of castile soap I purchased from the travel section at Target a while back.  It was 89 cents.  Organic castile soap, is very inexpensive.  I'm happily surprised too at the ingredients listed in them.  Here they are:

Ingredients: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E 


I grabbed an empty bottle of foaming soap and added in 1 part castile soap, 4 parts water.  Gave it a little swirl and was done.  Each push comes out just like the soap that was in it before.  It smells wonderful and does a fantastic job getting your hands clean.

Castile soap is so safe for your skin that you can use it with out diluting it as a shower soap.  I've even heard of some people brushing their teeth with it.  I don't know if I'd go that far.

I probably won't be buying a smaller bottle of castile soap anymore, but I'm hanging onto the little bottle to use for travel, and to make more hand soap when I run out.  The big bottle next to it goes for about 5 dollars.  That's pretty cheap for organic hand soap if you think about how many times you can refill the bottle.







7 comments:

  1. hey, i hopped over from Boost-My-Blog Party! nice to meet ya. have a great <3 Day!! big hugs. what a cool idea. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, glad you stopped by! Hope you had a great Valentine's Day too. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great idea! I'll have to check this out for sure...thanks for the recipe. Happy Valentine's Day from the Boost-My-Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you buy the larger bottle of Castile soap? I'm finding them for about $16.00 a bottle (32 oz.), is that a good price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds right. That little bottle I showed there was a 2 oz travel size, and I bought it for a dollar. Two oz. of soap with 6 oz of water (4 refills of water) will equal to 10 oz. of soap. So, $16 for 16 bottles of organic soap. I should have worked out the math in the post before...would be a steal for twice the price. :)

      Delete
  4. I've done this. I could do without the weird religious stuff that comes on the bottle, but aside from that, when the added scent (we got lavender) wears off, it smells disgusting! Plus, it leaves a film on the bathroom sink. Ultimately, I was disappointed. Anyone have an alternative? Is there a similar type of thing to Bronner's that is a glycerin soap or is there something different I could try?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails