Tuesday, September 14, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup -- the debate

This morning I ran across an article that talked about how the makers of High Fructose Corn want to change their name to Corn Sugar in hopes to shed their negative reputation.  I listen to their ads on the T.V. with disgust, it all just sounds like propaganda to me.  So, what is the truth?  Do you avoid it, or is it really fine in moderation like they say?



High Fructose Corn Syrup is a mixture of glucose and fructose which play two different roles in your body.  Glucose is a simple sugar that is transported in the blood and is used by your body for energy.  This is what diabetics test for when they test their blood sugar.

Fructose is a "fruit sugar" and is the primary carb in fruit, and honey.  It does not stimulate insulin secretion and it does not require insulin to be transported into cells like other carbs do.  This causes a problem in the body because insulin controls the hormone Leptin, which tells your body when to stop eating.  With out your body telling you to stop eating, this could lead to weight gain.

What I've noticed over the years is that it's simple to drink a can of soda.  It's gone before you know it, and you reach for another, right?  I cut out soda a couple of years ago to avoid these empty calories, however recently I've allowed myself to have one soda now and then as long as it does not have high fructose corn syrup.  What I saw is that I end up nursing it all day.  Anyone try those throw back sodas when they came out last year or so?  Too sweet for you?  How about that big piece of wedding cake?  Can you finish it with out feeling sick?  That's the signal that's missing from high fructose corn syrup, and I avoid it like the plague.

So they want to change their name to Corn Sugar?  I think that's just deceitful.  It's time for High Fructose Corn Syrup to go away.  Read your labels, it's in everything.

Linking back to:

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. Visiting from HTBH. Happy Tuesday! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am you newest follower! Come follow me http://adventuresofthedomesticatedmama.blogspot.com/2010/09/tuesday-blog-hops_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm your newest follower..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a label reader now. I have become truly horrified at what is in our FOOD! We are eating this sort of thing and most people have no idea what it is doing ot us.

    I agree, it should be gone.

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Please follow me back @ www.romanianprincess.com

    Thanks, Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails