Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Settling in

As of today, we've been in our new house for 20 days. Strangely it feels like we've been here longer and I've been unpacking, cleaning and dealing with life.  I've noticed a few differences from when you move long distances vs. short.  The largest difference being the kind of pause your life takes.  When you move long distances, you have to bring everything to a close.  When I left Denver, I had to stop playing with the fun loving Denver Pops Orchestra, I had to give up the awesome violin/viola studio that I had started from the ground up, and any activity the children were a part of had to be ceased.  We cleared our slate.

This move however all of that was unnecessary, to my relief.  It did pose one problem.  Our life still carried on while we had to move and unpack.  The most time consuming commitment we had was my children's swim team. It was worth the time commitment, and I'm proud of what they did...but moving while your kids are competing twice a week is not for the faint of heart. Luckily the season is now over, here's a photo of their awards ceremony/pizza party.


One room in this house has received most of my attention and that is my sun room.  This room has so much potential and I see it's potential every time I walk into it.  I also see dollar signs. We are going to be using this room as our school room this year.  I can't think of a more lovely way to do school but in a bright sunny room. I'm not one who usually focuses on problems, but I want to list the problems with this room and if any of my readers have suggestions post them in the comments below.  I am open to suggestions!!


  1. The carpet is old and stained.
  2. The windows have black mold around the weather stripping.  I've wiped the mold away, but I worry about the integrity of them and I'm concerned they may need to be replaced soon.
  3. The walls are brown and yellow.  At our old place we rented the family room had wood paneling and brick walls.  The room was hideously ugly and there was nothing I could do about it.  It turned me off on any kind of wood paneling so I'm thinking a paint job is in order in this room.  I'm thinking it might be the most affordable thing on this list so it might be the first project.
  4. The sunroom has a door to the back porch which is not covered by a soffit or anything else so when it rains the door gets a lot of water on it.  Some of this water leaks inside and the door itself is showing some mild water damage.
I'm reminded that living on the east coast is wet, specially compared to the dry climate of Colorado.  I told my husband last night how a spot of mold wouldn't have concerned me out there, but I felt here it could easily get out of hand.

So that's what's been going on.  I haven't posted much because life is just keeping me busy and I haven't hit my rhythm just yet.  Moving is so tough crazy, and it's hard on the wallet.  So many projects will have to wait until we recover.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails