Saturday, July 2, 2011

Putting it all back together...part 3


This is the third installment of my personal journey for the last year and a half. If you're just starting, I suggest you start from the beginning.

I was optimistic and excited to move to Colorado. Within a few days of getting here, I was googling churches to hopefully find a supportive social network. I knew for my own mental sanity, I needed that.

A few days after I moved out here though, my property manager called me and told me that the deposit check our tenants used to move in with bounced. She had made vital, basic mistake. Instead of insisting on a cashier's check, she took a regular check from them, and didn't wait for it to clear before allowing them to move in. This woman was the most well known property manager in my little town, and she made this basic mistake. Unbelievable. Virginia law says you must give them 30 days to make things right once they've established residency. In other words, once they move in you can't kick them out until you follow legal procedure. So had she waited for the check to at least clear, we could have told them to suck it.

I told her to start the eviction process immediately. I wasn't playing games with con artists. These people begged, pleaded, and lied. The woman said her dad had died, that she needed serious surgery, along with many other things. Turns out, the number for the previous apartment she had given was not the right number, her dad wasn't dead and actually helped her move out. Of the three months it took to get them out, I received one check for $1000, which didn't even cover one months rent. My property manager sued her for me and the woman now owes me around $4000 for the time she was in my house.  I'll never see a penny of it, and for all I know this disgusting individual is still out there conning people who are trying to scrape by honestly and with integrity.  Once the eviction was over and she was gone, I promptly fired my property manager.

All my hard work of getting that house together was a waste of time.  She ruined carpets, and left the yard a mess.  She even had a moving van in the driveway, and DESTROYED it.  What a slap in the face.  It's hard for me to believe that there are people out there that will kick someone while they're down.  Her name is Ruth Baker, and she's in Virginia.  Beware anyone who wants to rent a house out.  She is a con artist, extraordinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails