Thursday, December 2, 2010

Small changes for your Christmas

Having had to get rid of most of my Christmas stuff when I moved across the country earlier this year, I'm looking to make greener choices in my decorating and gift giving this year. I've already decided to get a real tree, and now I need lights and other stuff. So here's a few tips I've found online that I thought I'd share with my readers about greening up Christmas this year.

So, this year here are just a few things that are on my shopping list to help me deck the halls.

1. LED Christmas lights. Of course I'm going to use any that I might have, but since I'm buying a real tree this year and only had my artificial pre-lit tree before I need new lights.

2. Present wrapping will likely be done with news paper, or paper grocery bags. I will use whatever wrapping paper I have leftover, but I can hardly think a cute little brown gift with a red bow on it won't be any less enjoyed as one with fancy paper.

3. Gifts. Last year all of my gifts were hand made. I did that for a few reasons. One, I was completely broke. Hubs had no job last year, so our budget was incredibly tight. Secondly, I think a handmade gift is better cherished then some random thing bought at the store. This year will be a blend of special things purchased and things made.

4. Don't buy what you don't need.  I'm going to do a full inventory before I begin purchase stuff to deck my halls.  Don't fall into the consumer trap and buy a whole bunch of stuff you already have.  If you have lights and don't need more, don't run out and buy LED lights.  Use what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails